Wednesday 28 March 2012

Frantz Fanon: His Life & Work

by William Strickland, United Nations Centre Against Apartheid, 1979

I have been asked to review the life and work of Frantz Fanon as the first presentation in this programme, but before doing so I feel compelled to make a small confession. I have been studying Fanon for a number of years--principally in an effort to clarify the relevance of his theories to the black freedom movement of the 1950s and 1960s. Yet though I am on familiar terms with the material of Fanon's life, I found this seemingly simple task of biographical commentary one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do. It was difficult because it is not easy to put on paper the sense of admiration and appreciation that grows on one who is researching Fanon; a kind of unconscious kinship develops so that one begins to feel a certain. proprietary air about a man whom one has never met.

Click here to read the rest of this article.